Monday, November 21, 2016

Desperate in the Dumpsite

July 8, 2016 Journal Entry from the Dumpsite in Palo, Leyte, the Philippines

There is still a stench coming off my shoes and pants and this is the daily reality that they have to go back to all the time...LORD, this isn't what you want for them. This isn't what their parents want for them, but this is their livelihood.

I have to be someone who daily chooses to remember…
Maria in her faded pink frozen outfit and rain boots without socks.
Joanna who grabbed my hand upon the loud bang sounded by the dump truck as it headed off. Reyah who was shy but was a focused worker.
Diana in her faded pink Sofia the First dress.

They are human.

They have brothers and sisters.

Maria’s father was across the way and her mother was at the house. These girls knew exactly what they were searching for, “Milo” and “Silk” wrappers found by digging through mounds and mounds of disgustingness. Diapers and bandages were surrounding the environment that the kids were working in, all for 150 pesos (about $3).

Their identity is in the trash.
Everyone’s junk that is degrading, is what they are digging through to find, even just a mango that they could possibly savage for lunch. They are surrounded by flies! These girls are falling completely into this disgusting mess.

In the moment I was trying to think, “How can I make these kids, kids?” They shouldn't be here on a Saturday morning. So I began to sing and dance in hopes that these girls would be able to experience some sort of relief amongst this unjust situation. Any of these elements that are surrounding them, are ones that I freak out about when these kids I normally babysit are in that kind of environment. I don't let them dig through trash or eat old thrown out food, play around swarms of flies or play with dirty diapers. This has to change! I’m not going to forget the things that I have seen; they can not be forgotten! The LORD needs people to help him in this work he is doing here. God ABSOLUTELY does not want people acting like animals just to survive. We need all of us to do that.

I will remember the moment that we were able to take outside the entrance to the dumpsite where I was on my hands and knees where I shared with God what I saw and how I know His heart too is breaking. The lady Kennedy met has 8 kids she is raising alone, since the baby’s father was “a pig.” She has to leave her 8 month old baby at the house alone everyday…



“LORD, I commit to being someone who is going to change it. I can change it through education, job creation, through the teaching of men how to be good fathers and husbands. I tried lying to myself and saying it wasn't that bad, but it was AWFUL. No human should have to do that and that is why I have committed to helping change that but I can't do it alone. I need you LORD in every step of the the process. LORD, help me as I prepare for class this next year, that I would do my best for Maria, Joanna, Diana, Rose Anna, and Reyah.”

No comments:

Post a Comment